- Environment Canada's Marine Weather for the Northern Strait of Georgia (if North and South forecasts are currently the same, you will have to select link for Strait of Georgia from the available choices)
- Current Conditions Sentry Shoal Click "Past 24 hours" button to see weather trend
- Earth Nullschool Animmated Weather/Currents/Gases/etc. (click earth button to activate menu)
- Environment Canada's local forecast - Campbell River
- NOAA North Pacific Weather Maps
- Animated winds (or currents or) around the world (Windy.com)
- Also check out the downloadable Marine Weather books at the bottom of this page.
Currents and Tides
- Seymour Narrows Currents (This site corrects for Daylight Savings time. See on-site disclaimer)
- Campbell River Tides (This site corrects for Daylight Savings time. See on-site disclaimer)
- Official Tide and current tables (Select either Tide or Current and current year, then the area and finally the station. All values are Standard Time. See on-site disclaimer)
- Most charting programs come with built in tide and current software. However there are many stand alone applications for phones and computers. One problem with some applications is that they do not always keep up to changes to daylight saving dates (yes I know it has been a number of years, but there is some old code out there, also some older computers may not switch over correctly). Please check your selected software against official tide and current data - like above - for a number of dates, and when the change over occurs between standard and daylight savings time and back.
Important Navigation Updates
- Notices to Shipping. Now Navwarnings.
- Notices to Mariners, Chart Patches and List of Lights
- Catalogue of Charts Shows area covered by each chart. The Pacific PDF seems to work the best. First pages cover the North Coast.
- How to Correct your chart
- Safe Boating Guide
- Information related to Boating Course
- Transport Canada Marine Transportation (Regulations - Equipment Regulations, etc.; Ship Safety bulletins, etc.)
- Don't forget your fishing licence
- Report a Marine Mamal incident phone 1-800-465-4336
- Canadian Power Squadron - National
- Canadian Power Squadron - Vancouver Island North
- Canadian Power Squadron - Vancouver Island South
- Campbell River Yacht Club
Other Useful Links
- Cold water shock (Researchers are recognizing that Hypothermia is not the big killer when you first enter the water)
- Bowditch - The American Practical Mariner (a very in-depth text on Navigation released by the US government)
- Animated Knots by Grog (excellent, free online reference)
- Geoff's Bowline method
- Vessel tracking (real time, using AIS, overlaid on a map) courtesy of Siitech - select guest login button
- Online Variation Calculator (NOAA) (Thanks to Wayne Shields for bringing this to my attention.) The page refers to the term Declination rather than Variation. This is the term used by land navigators. Marine navigators use Declination to refer to the angle that planets or stars are North or South of the equator. We refer to the Sun's declination changing over the year as it appears to move with the seasons. The declination of a body is critical when using the stars and planets to navigate while out of sight of land. Variation is the term used by mariners to measure the local angle between Magnetic and True North.
- History of CCGC Point Race, which served Campbell River from 1982 to 2011
- Pictures and Videos of Scuba Diving around Campbell River. Thanks Roger.
- Booklets from the Government of Canada Publications Archive (free for non-commercial use. Search for other publications via this link)
- National Marine Weather Guide. A good overview of Weather, and how it affects Canada
- National Marine Weather Guide - British Columbia Regional Guide. Includes break down of weather by area, including section on Desolation Sound.
- Oceanography of the British Columbia Coast
- Sea kayaking safety guide
- Passport of boating safety for anglers and hunters