- Our February course is a go! We have 16 people signed up already. The course will be the new format Boating 2 & 3, which replaces Boating Essentials (link to schedule on Boating 2 & 3 page). See calendar for dates and times
- Flare disposal. Sounds like you may be able to dispose of your flares in Naniamo near the end of April. More info on date, location and any cost will be posted when it becomes available.
- Our Diesel Maintenance evening was very informative. A huge thank you to Kevin Van Cleemput, Service Manager and Marcus Huber, Shop Foreman, for an in-depth "Captain's Seminar". We covered operator maintenance for all systems (fuel, cooling, etc.), common problems and their solutions, right down to smoke-ology.
- Our first Member's night was a great success. We reviewed rope types and did splicing with twisted and braided rope. Thanks so much to Tim from Redden Net.
- Photos from our member's nights are in our on-line album. Thanks to Grant for taking most of them.
- Denman Island Cable Ferry Regulations (a must know if you are heading through Baynes Sound).
- Ripple Rock Squadron wins three awards this year! First is the Kurt Kukla Memorial Award and it is presented to the Squadron with the highest marks in Boating Course examinations; the second award is the Sharon Wipper Memorial Trophy and it is presented to the Volunteer of the Year in V.I.N.D. this year to Kevin Kavanagh; the third award is the Mike Cartlidge Memorial Trophy and it is presented annually to the Squadron with the highest retention and increase rate in membership, this year.
- Would you like to refresh some skills, free of
charge to squadron members? Is there something on which you are a
little rusty, and could use a little practice? Look
at the class calendar to find your class
of choice, then call the
instructor to ensure there is a seat for you.
- Did you know that taking Power Squadron courses could lower your insurance rates? Contact you marine insurer for details.
- Old copies of the Ripples newsletter have now been put on the website. These go back to 2006. Check out the newsletter page.
- We've put some new articles up, with a Campbell River perspective where possible. These articles first appear in the Ripples. Check out the On The Water page.
Updated Feb 5 2017
A Brief History of Ripple Rock Squadron