- Christmas Brunch! - Dec 11, check the newsletter for details.
- Our fall Boating Essentials course is complete, and all 18 students passed - congratulations to all! The ROC course is next (see calendar for dates and times).
- Our next course will be the new format Boating 2 & 3, which replaces Boating Essentials. We will offer the new combined course for the first time in February (see calendar for dates and times). We need a minimum of 12 to cover hall rental and the like.
- Our Diesel Maintenance evening was very informative. A huge thank you to Kevin Van Cleemput, Service Manager and Marcus Huber, Shop Foreman, for an in-depth "Captain's Seminar". We covered operator maintenance for all systems (fuel, cooling, etc.), common problems and their solutions, right down to smoke-ology.
- Our first Member's night was a great success. We reviewed rope types and did splicing with twisted and braided rope. Thanks so much to Tim from Redden Net.
- Photos from our member's nights are in our on-line album. Thanks to Grant for taking most of them.
- Denman Island Cable Ferry Regulations (a must know if you are heading through Baynes Sound).
- Ripple Rock Squadron wins three awards this year! First is the Kurt Kukla Memorial Award and it is presented to the Squadron with the highest marks in Boating Course examinations; the second award is the Sharon Wipper Memorial Trophy and it is presented to the Volunteer of the Year in V.I.N.D. this year to Kevin Kavanagh; the third award is the Mike Cartlidge Memorial Trophy and it is presented annually to the Squadron with the highest retention and increase rate in membership, this year.
- Would you like to refresh some skills, free of
charge to squadron members? Is there something on which you are a
little rusty, and could use a little practice? Look
at the class calendar to find your class
of choice, then call the
instructor to ensure there is a seat for you.
- Did you know that taking Power Squadron courses could lower your insurance rates? Contact you marine insurer for details.
- Old copies of the Ripples newsletter have now been put on the website. These go back to 2006. Check out the newsletter page.
- We've put some new articles up, with a Campbell River perspective where possible. These articles first appear in the Ripples. Check out the On The Water page
- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Updated Dec 2016
A Brief History of Ripple Rock Squadron