- Our next combined Boating Essentials and ROC course is scheduled for September (see calendar for dates and times). We need at least a dozen students to break even, so if you are interested, please contact our Training officer.
- Our booth at Ocean Pacific's Marine show was well attended. We provided information on our courses, and as usual Lionel was on hand, allowing people to write their ROC exam.
- Lee's charting refresher helped some of our members get back up to speed on a difficult subject, just in time for their spring shake down cruise.
- Our AGM was well attended. Acropolis provided a great meal. And the new bridge was sworn in. Welcome aboard Tony and Paulette, and thanks for all your work Howard and Dawn.
- Our Diesel Maintenance evening was very informative. A huge thank you to Kevin Van Cleemput, Service Manager and Marcus Huber, Shop Foreman, for an in-depth "Captain's Seminar". We covered operator maintenance for all systems (fuel, cooling, etc.), common problems and their solutions, right down to smoke-ology.
- Our first Member's night was a great success. We reviewed rope types and did splicing with twisted and braided rope. Thanks so much to Tim from Redden Net.
- Photos from our member's nights are in our on-line album. Thanks to Grant for taking most of them.
- Denman Island Cable Ferry Regulations (a must know if you are heading through Baynes Sound).
- Ripple Rock Squadron wins three awards this year! First is the Kurt Kukla Memorial Award and it is presented to the Squadron with the highest marks in Boating Course examinations; the second award is the Sharon Wipper Memorial Trophy and it is presented to the Volunteer of the Year in V.I.N.D. this year to Kevin Kavanagh; the third award is the Mike Cartlidge Memorial Trophy and it is presented annually to the Squadron with the highest retention and increase rate in membership, this year.
- Would you like to refresh some skills, free of
charge to squadron members? Is there something on which you are a
little rusty, and could use a little practice? Look
at the class calendar to find your class
of choice, then call the
instructor to ensure there is a seat for you.
- Did you know that taking Power Squadron courses could lower your insurance rates? Contact you marine insurer for details.
- Old copies of the Ripples newsletter have now been put on the website. These go back to 2006. Check out the newsletter page.
- We've put some new articles up, with a Campbell River perspective where possible. These articles first appear in the Ripples. Check out the On The Water page
- Have a great summer!
Updated July 2016
A Brief History of Ripple Rock Squadron